Hmm..
Actually i'm still confused about what i should write and share in this blog, because i never write anything like this before (what a pitty..how poor i am..LOL).
Ok, i'll choose a movie as my first topic. Milk, a new release movie that take a controversial theme for that movie. As i know, the creators of that movie made this movie to tell us about the story of California's first openly gay elected official, Harvey Milk, a San Francisco supervisor who was assassinated along with Mayor George Moscone by San Francisco Supervisor Dan White.
My first impression of this movie is "Wow..how could they made a movie with a different and a controversial theme like that?" I think this movie can take some Oscar and/or Golden Globe. I still remember about the other well-known gay themes movie, that is Brokeback Mountain which is played by Heath Ledger dan Jake Gyllenhaal. Heath Ledger got an Oscar as The Best Actor, and Jake Gyllenhaal got a nominee as the Best Supporting Actor.
There's something hanging in my mind, how could some movies with the different and extraordinary theme like this can be so famous and can be liked by a lot of people no matter they're gay or straight. May be the stories of these movies give some unknownable effects that make people fall in love to the movies like that.
Ms. Rachel, would you mind to tell us (especially to me) your opinion about this controversial gay theme and how do American people see and act according to this themes and some movies like this, because for Indonesian people some movies with a theme like that will never ever get a positive impression and positive thought and mostly Indonesian feel ashame to show the other people that they like the movie, because that movie contains a gay theme (they are affraid to be estimated as a gay person but actually the case is they like the movie because its very thouched story not because the gay theme). Thanks, i hope my first entry is quite interesting and attract people to read it, hahahaha.
Cheers,
Togier (XII IPA 1 / 01)
hmm, i've never heard about that movie before...
ReplyDeletei think we should watch it...
thanks for ur sharing bro !!
hoh0oo
keep on spirit ^.^
annie XII IPA 5/22
I think this was a great first topic and I am interested to see what your classmates think too.
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of Milk, but it sounds like a movie I would like. I have heard of Brokeback Mountain. I did not see the movie, but I plan to see it (at some point).
To answer part of your question, I think a good movie is a good movie. People like watching movies that are interesting, movies that make them laugh, and movies where they feel something new. I think people can like a controversial movie if it accomplishes one of these three things.
Second, movies are a type of artistic expression. Even if you think gay relationships are immoral, you can still appreciate the talent of the actors, the complexity of the writing, and the beauty in the cinematography.
Therefore, if you say "I really liked Brokeback Mountain" or "I really liked Milk," I think that most Americans would not judge you negatively, or automatically assume that you are gay. For example, I would think that you are an open-minded person who has good taste in movies.
Beyond movies, "gay rights" issues are issues that divide Americans. I am not addressing this here because your question pertained to movies. If you would like to know more about this, just let me know :)
im just d same as annie. .i never heard about it o.O~
ReplyDeleteaa yez.we can watch it together in class at spare time x)
if u asked me,i'd like to say ..maybe in that movie - milk- contains some episodes that provide funny things so american or other people like to watch it. depends on what Ms. Rachel said: "movies that make them laugh".hahaa
aaa..make me remember about yesterday! we watched twilight happily while other classes were really2 busy cleaning their classes up :p
im more interested in horror or thriller movies like apartmen1303,gothica,etc. .but it also depends on d scenario of d movie. if d story is interesting than i'll also like it no matter it's action romance etc huahuahua..!
vita.XIIa1.34
Thanks for answering my question Ms.Rachel, I agree with you, a good movie is a good movie. Beside it all, I'm interested with \your saying "gay rights issues are issues that divide Americans".
ReplyDeleteMay be you can explain us who interested in that issues, because we know that issues not just divide Americans but more countries all over the world. Thanks.
Cheers,
Togier (XII IPA 1 / 01)
hi!!!
ReplyDeleteabout the issue "gay rights issues are issues that divide americans"..
i think i can answer it for you,,
as long as i know,,
nowadays,,
in america,, the marriage between man and man is nearly legalized,,
so,,
the priests should obey the regulation to bless them as a couple,,
as a groom and a groom,,
as a husband and,,,, a husband.. :p
some of american,, however,, (and of course) doesn't agree with the plan..
so,, it divides americans...
hopefully,,
it can be helpful,,
^.^
Yohanes
(XII-A5/28)